The wildlife in California is some of the most beautiful in the world. From gray foxes and wolves to condors and tule elk, there’s so much to appreciate from afar. Unfortunately for Modesto residents, that often means a lot of that wildlife also functions as an urban pest, wreaking havoc in our yards and homes.
One of the most common pests you’ll find yourself dealing with are rodents, usually rats or mice. Next, we’ll give you some signs of rodent infestation to look for in your home and yard, as well as tips for rodent control and rodent removal.
Signs Of House Mice On Your Property
House mice are 5”-8” in length from nose to tail, light brown, gray, or nearly black. Mice will build nests in empty wall spaces, unused cupboards, garages, and attics. Look for these telltale signs of mice:
- Small droppings with pointed ends, the size of a grain of rise.
- Gnawed food packaging, wood, plastic, and wires.
- Tracks or rub marks found near consumed food.
- Nests made from shredded paper and other fibrous materials.
- A strong musky unpleasant odor.
Roof rats are roughly 13”-15” in length, nose to tail. The tail will be longer than the body itself and have no hair on it. True to their name, nesting higher up off the ground to stay safe.
Norway rats are roughly 16” in length, with a shorter and hairy tail. These rats create long burrows in the ground or property foundations, often found in the basements of homes.
Keep an eye (or ear) out for these signs of rats:
- Scurrying sounds in the attic.
- Chewed wires and housing materials.
- Greatsy ‘run trails’ with fur and large droppings.
- Gnawed food and furniture.
How To Prevent And Get Rid Of Rodents:
- Keep your home clean: Rodents are attracted to food, even small scraps and crumbs can bring them in. Sealing any food in air-tight containers and wiping down your counters keeps your home from looking like a good stop for a meal.
- Use Natural Repellants: Using items with a strong smell can really help with rodent prevention. Common household goods like cayenne, garlic, vinegar, and peppermint oil will deter rodents from the places they’re applied. Use these natural deterrents around your property and reapplying vinegar and oil sprays as needed will help keep the rodents out.
- Get Rid Of Hiding Spots: Rodents favor covered spots to move, staying out of our sight. Removing tall grass or trimming plants in your garden will ruin their ability to move unseen in your yard, making it easier to eliminate safe spaces for rodents.
- Traps And Poisons: A common and effective method of rodent removal is applying traps and poisons to locations rodents frequent your home. Just make sure you have the specific traps needed for either rats or mice as their difference in size can make the traps ineffective.
Professional Rodent Removal in Modesto CA
Rodents are persistent. Luckily, so are we. If you need a hand getting rid of the rodents in your home, the professional pest control experts at IQ Pest Control are happy to help. We’re ready to tailor our pest control services to your needs, ensuring that you have a fast and effective solution to your problem.