Ants are small and persistent creatures that can wreak havoc on your yard and infiltrate your home. There are 12 types of ants around the Modesto, California area and the pest control experts at InsectIQ know how to handle them all.
Ants are an important part of the ecosystem by providing aeration of the soil for plants (among many other things), but ants inside your home is another story. With how crafty these tiny insects can be, it is important to know how to protect your home from infestations.
Common Ants in Modesto, CA
Different species have different behavioral patterns, which is why it’s helpful to know what type of ant you’re dealing with. While there are many different types of ants around Modesto, CA, there are four common ant species that you can find in and around your home.
- Argentine Ant: This ant is one of the most common species in our area. They are small, light brown in color, and form large colonies. These ants are known for their ability to create supercolonies that span multiple properties.
- Pavement Ant: The pavement ant is a small, brownish-black ant that is commonly found in urban areas, including sidewalks and driveways. They build their nests in soil or under pavement and leave small mounds of soil near the nesting site.
- Odorous House Ant: These ants are small, dark brown or blank and emit a strong, unpleasant odor when crushed (hence the name). Odorous house ants are typically found near sweets, meats, and other food sources.
- Carpenter Ant: These ants are a larger species that can get up to ⅝ of an inch in length. They are typically black, red, or brown in color. Carpenter ants typically build their nests in wood, creating smooth tunnels and galleries.
Though ants can be difficult to avoid, there are a few measures you can implement to deter these pests from getting indoors. Starting your protection from the outside is the best course of action to protect your home inside from ants; a few simple steps is all it takes:
- Seal Entry Points: Ants can sneak through the smallest crack or crevice! Seal off gaps around doors and windows with caulking or weather stripping. Check for cracks in your foundation or wall and fill those with sealant.
- Trim Trees and Shrubs: Ants can use shrubs and trees as a bridge into your home. Trim branches and shrubs that are touching your house and keep them at least a foot away from the siding. Remove any dead or rotting wood from your property as this can attract ants as well!
- Use Natural Ant Deterrents: Sprinkling both cinnamon or cayenne pepper around the entry points and on ant trails can help deter ants. Ants can’t stand the smell of either of these spices – this line will form a barrier between ants and your home.
Even with your best efforts, ants may still be able to get inside and infest your home. By making your space less attractive to ants, you can prevent them from settling in. Deter ants indoors by:
- Keeping a Clean Home: Ants are attracted to crumbs and spills in your home. Wipe down counters and tables regularly, sweep floors, and vacuum carpets. Store food in sealed containers and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator. Additionally, take out the trash often and clean your trash can to eliminate food odors.
- Fixing Moisture Problems: Any moisture inside your home can attract ants as well. Repair leaky pipes and faucets. Fix any areas of your home where water may collect, such as the basement or crawl space. Ensure the gutters and downspouts outside are functioning as directed as well.
It doesn’t take much work to keep ants out of your home, but they are very persistent so being diligent about your protection efforts are crucial.
Ants are remarkably tenacious and have a knack for finding their way indoors despite all of our attempts to keep them out. An ant infestation can spread quickly and can be difficult to contain on your own. Luckily, the ant control experts with InsectIQ are trained to handle these pests. With 19 years of experience, InsectIQ has become the most trusted experts in Modesto CA for effective ant extermination. Call today for a free quote to start living your pest-free life!