Getting stung by a wasp is not something anyone wants to experience, let alone being attacked by an irritated swarm. Wasp prevention and keeping your family safe from stinging insects are important parts of Modesto pest control.
Proper upkeep of your home and landscaping is one of the best things you as a homeowner can do to keep wasps down to a minimum. But the best trick to ensure your yard is as wasp-free as possible? Call your local Modesto pest control company. Don’t put your health at risk. Here at Insect IQ, Inc., we have the trained technicians and equipment to safely take on that task for you.
Are Wasps In Modesto Dangerous?
Anyone that has been unlucky enough to experience the wrong end of a wasp can attest to how unpleasant it can be. When a wasp stings, it injects a potent venom into your skin that can cause quite a bit of pain. Worse yet, some wasps have the ability to sting multiple times. Some people are allergic to the venom, and a wasp sting can then become a medical emergency.
There are several types of wasps here in Modesto. Let’s take a look at a few of the wasps found in the local area.
- Paper wasp: These wasps are typically dark brown with yellow markings and can be 5/8 to over 1 inch long. They have a very distinguishable paper nest in the shape of an umbrella.
- Yellowjacket: They have that characteristic black and yellow striped body that is 3/8 to 5/8 inches long. Yellowjackets are shorter and wider than paper wasps. Their paper-like nests are commonly built underground but can pop up under eaves or in attics.
- Potter wasp: The potter wasp is a solitary wasp that has a shiny black body and grows 3/8 to ¾ inch long. They feed primarily on caterpillars and are typically non-aggressive.
- European hornet: This is a social wasp that nests primarily in hollow tree trunks or similar types of structures. They are brown with yellow markings and can grow to 1 1/2 inches.
Wasp identification can be an important aid in proper wasp removal and prevention. If you have difficulty identifying the various types of wasps, your Modesto pest control company would be more than happy to pay a visit and help in any way.
What Should I Do If I See A Wasp Nest On My Property?
Except for the potter wasp, these wasps are very territorial and will aggressively protect their nests. If you locate a nest on your property, contact a professional pest control company and let the trained technicians take care of the removal. Depending on the type of wasp, some colonies can reach anywhere from 30 to several hundred members per nest. If a nest is disturbed and not properly handled, the results can be devastating. Why take the chance?
Five Wasp Prevention Tips
You can take several measures to help deter the presence of wasps taking up residence on your property.
- Remove pools of standing water around your house and in the yard.
- Regularly trim bushes and trees on your property.
- Ensure garbage can lids are tightly sealed.
- If you have fruit trees, pick up any fruit that has fallen in your yard.
- Sweet-smelling and pollinating plants attract some wasps. As an alternative, try using other decorative plants in your landscaping theme.
The tips above are just a few of the wasp prevention actions that aid in keeping down the wasp population around your home. A little housekeeping and lawn maintenance can go a long way in deterring these stinging pests.
How Insect IQ, Inc. Can Help With Wasp Control
Insect IQ, Inc. is a family-owned business serving the area for nearly 20 years. We have the experience and knowledge in proper wasp identification, safe and eco-friendly wasp removal, and prevention. Give us a call to learn about our pest control services and plans to fit your needs and budget.