Most of the time, ants are considered a nuisance pest – while they may contaminate your food or try to raid your home, many species aren’t going to spread diseases or bacteria. However, not all ants fall under this category, and there are a couple of ant species native to Modesto that can actually be dangerous or destructive to have in your home.
If you’re spotting ants around your home, here’s what you should know about identifying nuisance ants, figuring out if they’re dangerous or destructive, and the best way to handle an ant infestation.
What Type Of Ants Are Nuisance Pests In Modesto, CA?
The following are some of Modesto’s more common ant types that aren’t dangerous, but can be a nuisance and incredibly hard to rid your home of:
- Odorous House Ants: One of the most common ants you’ll encounter around your home, odorous house ants get their name from the unpleasant odor they emit when they’re crushed. These ants prefer to build nests near moisture, and won’t hesitate to contaminate your food.
- Argentine Ants: From South America, Argentine ants are common in California, where they’ll create “super-colonies” and wipe out other ant species that may be around. Argentine ants frequently end up in your home during the spring or summer and feed off sugary foods.
- Pavement Ants: Pavement ants prefer to make their colonies under slabs of concrete or in the soil, but the lure of greasy foods can still bring them into your home.
Even if they don’t pose a threat to you, nuisance ants aren’t welcome guests in Modesto homes and left untreated, these infestations can get out of hand quickly.
What Type Of Ants Are Dangerous Or Destructive In Modesto, CA?
Besides nuisance ants, there are several ant species in California that can actually become dangerous or destructive on your property. Some may cause structural damage, while the sting or bite of others can be bad news for anyone with allergies.
- Thief Ants: While they spend a lot of time foraging for dead insects and rodents outside, thief ants have the potential to bring bacteria or diseases into your home if they make it inside.
- California Fire Ants: California fire ants are certainly “fiery” – not only because of their coloring but also because of the burning sensation that comes with their sting.
- Harvester Ants: Harvester ants may prefer your garden, but if you encounter one of these ants, they can be aggressive and pack a sting that hurts almost as much as a bee sting.
- Pharaoh Ants: Pharaoh ants aren’t just infamously hard to control and exterminate, but they’re also known for transmitting bacteria and disease too.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants may not be a health concern, but since they like to chew through wood, these ants can cause a lot of structural damage.
Harmful or not, ants have no business in your home and it is important to treat infestations as soon as possible.
The Best Way To Handle An Ant Infestation In Modesto, CA
Whether you’re dealing with a nuisance ant or a dangerous ant, spotting these critters in your home isn’t good news. Plus, trying to deal with the infestation on your own usually only gives it more time to spiral out of control.
The most effective way to completely rid your home of ants is by working with a professional pest control company, like those of us at Insect IQ. If you suspect that you’ve got an ant infestation on your hands, call us at Insect IQ today to learn more about identifying the species and how we can help.